Komodo dragons are one of the endangered species of ancient Reptile which is protected and only exists on Most Beautiful Island in Indonesia.
Komodo or commonly called monitor lizards ( Varanus komodoensis ) is the largest lizard species in the world. This giant lizard lives precisely on the islands of Komodo, Rinca, Flores, Gili Motang and Gili Dasami, Nusa Tenggara. By locals, this animal is called ora.
Komodo Foods are Goat, Deer, Buffalo, Pigs and other animals. Usually, dragons hunt with land approaching the prey and then bite the legs of the victim. Unlike other predators, dragons only do one bite to give poison to their prey and wait until they die.
Then the Komodo dragon eats it, all parts of the body will be consumed by the Komodo dragon even bones to the horn of the prey. Then the remnants of hair, bones and some that cannot be digested into the body will vomit up.
History of Komodo Dragons
Komodo was first documented by someone from the European in 1910. In 1912 when Pieter Antonie Ouwens published a paper about dragons after receiving photographs and skins of these reptiles and the name of the Komodo dragon was widespread. This animal also inspired the film King Kong in 1933.
After the publication of Pieter’s paper, W Douglas Burden encouraging an expedition to the island of Komodo, precisely in 1926. W Douglas Burden was the first person to mention the Komodo dragon to this native animal of Indonesia.
Characteristics of the Komodo Dragon
- Adult Komodo dragons can weigh up to 70 kilograms if they live in the wild.
- Adult Komodo dragons that live in captivity can grow up to 3.13 meters with a weight of 166 kilograms.
- Komodo has a large body and is called the giant lizard in the world, but not the longest. The longest lizard owned by the Papua monitor lizard ( Varanus Salvadorii ).
- The unique feature of the next Komodo dragon is that if at first glance the teeth are not visible but the Komodo dragon has sharp teeth with a length of about 2.5 cm and a total of 60 pieces.
- Having poisonous saliva, if mixed with blood, will result in blood clots and various other effects, this makes the prey bitten by dragons will become infected and then die.
- Komodo has a long yellow tongue and branched ends.
- Male Komodo dragons have the largest body characteristics compared to female dragons. The skin colour of male dragons is usually dark grey to brick red.
- Female dragons have smaller body features and have olive-green skin colour and have small yellow pieces on the throat.
- Young Komodo dragons have a brighter skin colour that is yellow, green and white in the belly lining.
It is known that dragons prefer hot and dry places and usually live in dry grasslands, savannahs, shrubs and tropical forests in the lowlands with temperatures around 35 C or 95 Fahrenheit. Komodos dig holes 1-3 meters (3 – 10 feet) using strong forelimbs and claws.
The habit of sleeping in a hole at night aims to keep body temperature hot so that it can reduce the amount of time you sunbathe the following morning.
Komodo Dragons Island
Komodo dragons Island is an island located in the Nusa Tenggara Islands. It is very famous for the native habitat of Komodo dragons. Aside from being a native habitat for dragons, Komodo Island is also a National Park area protected by the government.
In geographical, Komodo island located east of Sumbawa Island separated by a strait called Sape Strait. If you look at the map of the area, the island enters the Komodo District, West Manggarai Regency, East Nusa Tenggara Province.
Komodo Island is geographically located at the westernmost tip of East Nusa Tenggara Province or directly adjacent to West Nusa Tenggara. On Komodo Island, Komodo dragons live and develop well. This can be seen from the growth of dragons in January 2019 there were 1500 dragons.
Coupled with other islands such as Rinca and Gili Motang, their total number reached 2.800. There are also about 100 Komodo dragons in the Wae Wuul Nature Reserve but not included in the Komodo National Park area.
In addition to dragons, the island also stores diverse exotic flora such as sappan wood, Sterculia oblongata. Residents use sappan wood as medicine and colouring clothes. While the Sterculia tree believed to be useful for medicinal ingredients and the seeds are tasteful like peas.
Because it is included in the Komodo National Park, along with Rinca Island, Padar and Gili Motang, Komodo Island has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site and also been crowned as seven wonders of the world and most beautiful Island in Indonesia.
Komodo Island has a beautiful beach that extends and charming exotic scenery, making it a unique attraction for tourists. Komodo Island itself is a suitable tourist destination for tourists who want to see, know and learn everything on Komodo Island.
Various Tourism Activities on Komodo Dragons Island
Including Komodo National Park, connected with Labuan Bajo via flights and liveaboards. Tourist arrivals recorded at 176,830 people with 60% foreign tourists.
The main tourist activity is to see the Komodo dragon directly physically. A large number of sea turtles, colourful coral reefs also liven up their natural wealth. These are various activities on Komodo Island:
Labuhan Bajo is the first port to Komodo Island and a series of neighbouring islands. At this pier, there are many ships with various types of vessels and prices. The distance from Labuan Bajo to Komodo National Park is about 3 hours by boat.
- Taka Makassar Island, Taka Makassar is one of the tourist spots included in the Komodo National Park. If you pay attention to this one tourist spot, most of its territory is sand islands. Please also note that Taka Makassar is the unique spot because in here we can find two sand islands that stand out to the mainland.
- Kalong Island, Kalong Island is one of the islands located in the Komodo National Park, which is a habitat for millions of Flying-foxes. As the name implies, Kalong/Flying foxes Island is one of the tourist destinations whose location has become very popular due to the uniqueness of its inhabitants.
- Kelor Island, Kelor Island is one of the tangible evidence of natural resources found in Indonesia. Because of the beauty of the underwater world, the charm of the beach, the mountains on Kelor Island have always been an attraction for tourists who come to visit every day.
Nature Tourism and Meet Komodo Dragons
The main activity in this attraction is, of course, the physical appearance of the Komodo dragon, an ancient animal of Indonesian pride.
Getting a whole treat about Komodo, tourists can understand all the activities of his life. Interacting with hard-skinned animals and sharp claws, tourists must be accompanied by a ranger/guide.
Tourists can also pose with this giant lizard with the help of a ranger that makes it look close.
Located in the Komodo National Park, its establishment aims to protect the Komodo dragon and surrounding flora from extinction.
The population of Komodo dragons (Varanus komodoensis ) is recorded at 3,012 animals and stable from the threat of extinction.
Other places, Rinca Island, Padar Island, Gili Montana Island, and Nusa Tenggara Island are locations where these endangered animals live.
Located on Rinca Island, tourists can visit Loh Liang with 2,000 Komodo dragons released freely. If lucky, tourists can see firsthand the fight of male Komodo dragons fighting over female dragons.
Enjoy the Paradise Beach
In addition to rare animals, here has the attraction of exotic natural panorama around it. Small islands nearby have clear blue sea water and are still clean.
Before directly encountering a giant reptile, Komodo, tourists must be trekking to reach their habitat. During the trip, tourists will be treated to a stunning landscape.
- Pink Beach, Komodo Island has Pink Beach, a charming beach with pink sand. This location is one of the marine tourism destinations coveted by many tourists. Take a leisurely walk along Pink Beach, tourists will feel like being in Balos Lagoon, Greece.
- Namong Beach, Besides Pink Beach, it turns out that on the southern side of Komodo Island there is also a beach which is quite interesting to visit. And the beach is Namong Beach if you pay attention to this one tourist spot it indeed presents a view of a very fantastic view. The clear sea water on this beach looks more beautiful because of its blend of the beach colours, which are also stunning.
Hiking on Padar Island
For climbers and photography lovers, the opportunity to climb Padar Island is a special moment. Padar Island has green hills that look arid like a desert during the dry season. This is the main attraction of this uninhabited area to visit.
Padar Island also has a long coastline with clear waters. On the hill, tourists can see three charming and beautiful bays. Three large indentations on both sides of the cliff were not spared into a photographic background.
Diving and Snorkeling on Komodo Island
Of the 137 thousand hectares of the Komodo National Park Area, 60 per cent is water. The waters of the Komodo National Park are also famous for the beauty of the coral reefs, the fish, and the clear blue water.
The coral reef presented a variety of forms, ranging from mushrooms, wrapped in a purple lining, and waving. For lovers of water sports, this location is a fascinating paradise of scuba diving.
At several points, the natural beauty of the underwater even aligned with world-famous spots like the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, to the Belize Reserve System and the Galapagos in Ecuador.
Planting Mangroves on Rinca Island
Rinca Island is one of the popular tourist areas to see Komodo dragons besides Komodo Island. About 2,000 Komodo dragons are on the island. Including Komodo National Park, this island can be reached in 2 hours from Labuan Bajo.
Here, tourists can take part in environmental conservation activities, namely the mangrove planting program. Tourists will be given mangrove seeds that can be named. You can also climb the hill or relax on the beach.
Komodo Island Cruise
Enjoy the beauty of the sea at sea with cruise gives you an unforgettable experience. You can enjoy the beauty of the sea of Komodo National Park with Aqua Blu Cruise.
Aqua Blu Cruise has also prepared interesting routes such as Bali, Labuan Bajo, Maumere, Banda Neira, Ambon, Sorong, and Waisai. visit here